Aging is a life situation no one can avoid, as our body ages so does our mouth. As our body ages so does our mouth and fortunately there is much that a person can do to keep safe from oral disease. First let’s discuss some of the dental problems caused just by aging:
1. Darkened teeth; the change in dentin is one of the primary causes for this to happen.
2. Gum disease; often a problem because of plaque and food build up.
3. Root decay; as one ages the muscles around teeth weaken exposing the roots causing them to be exposed to decaying acid.
4. Stomatitis; is caused when a fungal infection occurs and causes inflammation to the tissues under the denture.
5. Lost sense of taste; taste buds weaken with age and are further reduced with tooth loss and medications.
6. Dry mouth; with age and medication the saliva dries in the mouth causes dry mouth condition.
Suggestions for avoiding dental problems in seniors:
Following are suggestions to help prevent dental concerns in seniors:
1. Brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day.
2. Keep the mouth hydrated, drink plenty of water.
3. Eat a diet rich in vitamins and nutrients.
4. Rinse your mouth with an antiseptic mouthwash.
It is important to take good care of your oral hygiene; many diseases get to your body through the oral cavity. Be sure to include a regular visit to Brenner Dental of Park Slope in your prevention program. Dr. Brenner can identify any problem early and offer you the right solution.